Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Week 3: Fish Bone


Hey everyone! I just want to thank all of you for your Dear Elders, packages, and letters! It means a lot and just brightens my day when I hear from you guys and the outside world. 

So to begin with, Elder Walton (McRae's cousin) just got here and happens to be in my zone! He's really chill and talk about Arizona sometimes. Anyways, there are definitely days when the language is hard and you feeling like giving up. But then there are days when you feel like Mongolian is coming easier to you and you can actually recall sentences and words. Elder Scrimsher and I have been getting better at teaching fake investigators. We used to just write everything in Mongolian and then read it off to them, but then we realized it never really brought in the spirit. So we decided to jump into the unknown and rely more on the spirit. It was definitely harder and shorter at first, but now we are starting to get the hang of it. It's such a blessing to know that Heavenly Father is always right there helping us and all we have to do is turn towards Him and lean on Him. 

Let's just say Sunday came with a couple surprises. Elder Scrimsher and I were walking down the hall to prepare the sacrament when the first counselor in the branch presidency pulled us aside and called us to be the zone leaders! I was shocked because we had only been in the MTC two and a half weeks and now we are going to be the zone leaders for seven more! So that was crazy and then we learned that we would be having Elder Rife join our companionship since his companions left the MTC. He's actually going to leave in a week to the Belgium Netherlands mission and it's been fun having him with us. He's an awesome guy and really funny. 

So speaking of Elder Rife, we were all eating dinner and Elder Rife swallowed part of a fish bone in his salmon. It wasn't that bad but it was stuck in his throat so we decided to go to the health center to check them out. I guess things are serious around here because they send us straight to the ER at the Utah Valley hospital to check him out. And this also happened to be the same hospital that my friend Ethan and I went to when we got in a car crash so it brought back a lot of memories. But it was so weird to leave the MTC into the outside world! The three of us felt like we were escaping the prison we had volunteered to be kept at and didn't know what to do! When we were in the hospital, we literally followed Elder Rife everywhere because we are his companions. That's what we are supposed to do and a lot of people were giving us weird looks hahaha. And then Elder Rife's sister happened to be his nurse! She was super happy to see him and they took pictures together. So we actually happened to stay at the hospital for three hours just for them to tell us that it was just a scratch. But hey we weren't complaining because we got a taste of the outside world and Elder Scrimsher and I practiced a lot of Mongolian. Let's just say it was a success and now I'm starting to wonder if Elder Rife was just faking it to see his sister hahaha. 

Like always, this week was a pretty spiritual week. For the first time I actually felt the spirit while teaching a lesson in Mongolian. I told our fake investigator that I felt it and he said he felt something too. Then the sisters wanted blessings on Sunday and one of them happened to ask me to give them one. It was such a neat experience and I felt the spirit super strongly while me and all of the elders in my district stood in that circle to give her a blessing. My branch president later taught us that we need to strive to be worthy of the priesthood so if someone needs a blessing at any time, we can say, "I can do it." It was so amazing to hear that and a big testimony builder for all of us. I'm so glad I am where I am today and thank my Heavenly Father for everything He has given me. And to be honest, sometimes I don't know when I wake up in the morning if I will have a good day or a bad one. But whether it is easy or hard, I put all of my trust in the Lord and His timing because He knows what's best for me. A lot of the time I put my head down to grind through the hard tasks that are given to me, but I always keep my eyes looking up, staying positive and looking at everything that Heavenly Father has given me. 

I love you guys so much and hope you all have a great week!

-Ахлагч Ogden

 

No comments:

Post a Comment